Beyond Calming Down
a webinar series with Lynn Lyons
Introducing our new webinar series. Enjoy our seminars on important topics from the comfort of your own home and at the convenience of your own time.
October 10th, 17th, 24th, 31st
*One hour Webinar sessions available live, or at your own convenience.
This four part series will address the strategies that work and the ones that don’t, offering a different perspective on managing and even preventing anxiety from taking over children and families.
Lynn Lyons is a licensed clinical social worker and psychotherapist the coauthor of two books on anxiety: Anxious Kids, Anxious Parents: 7 Ways to Stop the Worry Cycle and Raise Courageous & Independent Children, and the companion book for kids, Playing with Anxiety: Casey’s Guide for Teens and Kids.
When children and teens are in the grips of worry and anxiety, adults often feel stuck as well. Parents, educators, and many therapists routinely tell me how overwhelmed they feel by the frequency and intensity of anxiety in the children they care about. They don’tknow what to do. What makes it even trickier? The things we do with anxious kids that feel most loving and intuitive often make the problem worse.
I’ll answer the questions I hear most often, including:
- What can adults do to both prevent anxiety from becoming so powerful, and help children manage it when it does show up?
- Why are the strategies frequently taught to kids—like breathing, relaxation, and distraction-- not working?
- What do we do when an anxious child is falling apart?
- How does “front-loading” with anxious kids make interventions more effective?
- How can we get parents, schools, and outside providers to work together more effectively?
- What is the connection between anxiety and depression?
Participants will learn to interrupt the most common anxiety and depression enhancing patterns--including reassurance, accommodation, avoidance, and three cognitive habits—and adopt instead a process-based “umbrella approach” that changes both the child and adults’ ingrained patterns of thinking and behaving.
*no refunds for this event unless your spot can be filled in an appropriate amount of time